PVAS Forum

Update 12/8/2016: Image and document uploading instructions.  Click here.

HomeHomeGeneralGeneralFish MongersFish MongersEight discus --  including a spawning pair!Eight discus -- including a spawning pair!
Previous

Next
New Post
1/13/2018 6:09 PM

I've tried and tried to post pix on this forum. Contact me through the admin and I'll be happy to email some.

New Post
1/13/2018 6:11 PM

Will do, tomorrow.

New Post
1/29/2018 10:05 PM

you only changed the water twice a week ? Can you give some details of your setup ? I had a 110 gal and i ended up changin the water almost every day, else the fish would get sick and the room would stink.

New Post
1/30/2018 2:23 PM

The details have changed of late. One thing that impelled my decision to call it quits was the irreparable leak of my canister filter.

But since 1991, I've had a 90-gallon planted tank, with a Whisper power filter AND a Penn Plax 1000 canister filter. I can't say the fish never got sick (although the orange strains are markedly more resistant to disease than the pigeonbloods, etc.) But my temp has been about 82, pH about 6.8 - 7.0, and no ammonia or nitrites. Take a look at the Simply Discus forum; seems to me that some of those folks are OCD about water changes. As it is, I change about 1/4 twice a week, about 50% a week. On the SD forum, I once asked a Q about frequency of filter cleaning, and I got flamed by some jackass who said I should be not trusted with the family dog. I was able to point out in reply that my water changes actually exceeded the recommendations of the Stendker discus folks, who seem to know what they are doing. That, and I've had any number of successful discus spawns.

I would not presume to comment on your setup, or why you had problems. You also don't say what kind of fish you have, or how many. There are guidelines for that. Finally, you complain about "stink." I'm assuming you don't mean the smell of a healthy aquarium, which is distinctive and not stinky to those in the hobby.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeGeneralGeneralFish MongersFish MongersEight discus --  including a spawning pair!Eight discus -- including a spawning pair!