PVAS Forum

Update 12/8/2016: Image and document uploading instructions.  Click here.

HomeHomeIn The TankIn The TankWater/Health/Fo...Water/Health/Fo...Hard waterHard water
Previous

Next
New Post
2/9/2018 9:07 AM

I thought about it but how clean is that water? The aquifer is 60 ft deep. There is a well available but the water is really hard.

New Post
2/9/2018 11:13 AM

I've used rain water for years, with no ill effects on my fish. Black banded sunnies, all kinds of cories, and, of course, my white clouds and rosy barbs. I've read articles/posts saying there are too many contaminants near cities, but my experience hasn't borne that out. Francine Bethea used to have a system where she'd collect rain water in industrial food barrels, and then run a hose down into her basement as a passive siphon. When I was down in Fort Lauderdale last, one of the members, from Russia, told me that they would soak water in peat for awhile, which binds to the solids and softens the water. (I haven't tried this, so I don't know.)

Still, other than hauling small quantities of water in from my backyard in five gallon buckets, I'm a big fan of getting fish that like my water, rather than trying to adapt my water to my fish. It's a basic rule of chemistry that it's a lot easier to put minerals in water than it is to get them out.

Also, lots of nice darters in Minnesota, but these are a specialty fish. They have no swim bladder and like to hug the bottom in a fast current. I've heard people tell me they've adapted them to flake and pellets, but I've found them to be sight feeders that only to want live and previously live frozen food (dropped in the filter stream to simulate movement.)

New Post
2/9/2018 1:24 PM

I am not a fan of doing the extra work to get the water, so whatever comes out of our pipes, the fish get, sans Cl, of course.  Being a one -tank girl, I doubt that I will be doing the local fish thing since clown loaches are a must, but they sure are pretty.  Not above raising live foods, either.  I was starting to raise daphnia then the move came up so I pulled the plug on that.  Will probably do it in Minnesota.  Scoped out a corner of the mud room for them already.

JoAnn Schlosser
"All men are equal before fish."
-Herbert Hoover

Previous

Next
HomeHomeIn The TankIn The TankWater/Health/Fo...Water/Health/Fo...Hard waterHard water