PVAS Forum

Update 12/8/2016: Image and document uploading instructions.  Click here.

HomeHomeGeneralGeneralNews & EventsNews & EventsGary Lange Bringing Rainbowfish Egg Kits - Get Ready!Gary Lange Bringing Rainbowfish Egg Kits - Get Ready!
Previous

Next
New Post
4/10/2018 10:21 AM

Here is an important communication from Gary Lange about the upcoming May meeting and what members who wish to obtain rainbowfish eggs should do to prepare.

Get Ready for Rainbowfish Eggs!

Hello PVAS members, Gary Lange here.  I’m looking forward to seeing you and speaking at your meeting on Saturday May 5th. I will be planning to bring a bunch of rainbowfish egg kits to the meeting which will be auctioned off RIGHT AFTER MY TALK.  An egg kit consists of 40-90 eggs (depending on the fish’s friskiness that week) along with first fry food and detailed instructions on how to raise the fry.  I can’t tell you at this moment which fish eggs I will be bringing.  I may or may not be bringing the very latest stuff that I collected as I’m still paying for the last airline ticket from New Guinea with those fish.  I will certainly be bringing some stuff that you’ve never seen before in the stores, I can guarantee that!  No crossed wholesaler’s garbage with these rainbowfish!  We’ll just have to wait and see which fish are breeding to see what will be in the egg kits.  Don’t worry about knowing the names because as each kit is auctioned off I’ll put up the photo on the projector so you’ll know what it looks like and I’ll give a brief description of the fish.  If you want a preview with a few illustrations of my hatching instructions please check out

http://rainbowfish-forum.freeforums.n...h-eggs-egg-kits

or here

http://www.missouriaquariumsociety.co...f=21&t=1396

What you can do to get ready is to set up some new 5.5 or 10 gallon bare tanks for hatching the egg kits.  You’ll need a SEPARATE tank for each group of eggs that you decide to buy as they grow at different rates so you might end up with only one type because the others might get eaten!  I usually don’t recommend 2.5 gallon tanks anymore as more often than not the water quality issues will cause you to lose the fish.  Get it set up so that it will be at 80-82 degrees and get a sponge filter going in it.  You’ll definitely need a heater as you won’t get a very good hatch rate or survival rate at cooler temperatures.  You’ll also need a small tray for each species that you buy to hatch out the eggs.  A 6x6 sandwich type tray works fine to hatch the eggs.  You can float that tray in the raising tank to keep the eggs incubating at 80-82 for optimal hatch.  You’ll be changing the water in that tray every day for about 5-9 days while the fry hatch out.  The instructions will get you to feeding them live baby brine shrimp, usually 3-10 days after hatching depending on the species.  It’s not very hard and hobbyists all over the country have been very successful in hatching and raising my eggs.  It’s a pretty neat way to get some very nice rainbowfish that you really can’t buy at the stores.  So often, rainbowfish that you do happen to see at the stores, really don’t look like they are supposed to anymore anyway.  See you soon!

New Post
4/10/2018 2:02 PM

Hopefully he's bringing adult fish too?

New Post
4/10/2018 2:23 PM

Hi Linus,

Gary prefers to sell eggs. I believe it's a function of ease of transport and to prevent transmission of disease, but I could be wrong on the rationale. We can ask Gary why at the May meeting. 

New Post
4/10/2018 4:21 PM

I got my Wapoga red laser rainbowfish (Melanotaenia rubrivittata ) from him at his last visit a couple years ago. They are great fish and breed readily. Probably I will get some different rainbows this time.

New Post
4/10/2018 6:44 PM

I plan on bringing lots of money on this auction....
If all goes well, you will all see the children and grandchildren of what I buy come through later auctions.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeGeneralGeneralNews & EventsNews & EventsGary Lange Bringing Rainbowfish Egg Kits - Get Ready!Gary Lange Bringing Rainbowfish Egg Kits - Get Ready!